Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

"It may be a shocking thing to say on television, but is Buchanan right?"

Pat Buchanan: ‘Whites Are the Only Group That You Can Discriminate Against Legally in America Now’

Noel Sheppard


Syndicated columnist Pat Buchanan made a statement Friday guaranteed to make liberal media members’ heads spin.

During a discussion about Affirmative Action on PBS’s McLaughlin Group, Buchanan said, “Whites are the only group that you can discriminate against legally in America now” (video follows with transcript and commentary):




JOHN MCLAUGHLIN, HOST: Are you saying college admissions should be based on diversity?

ELEANOR CLIFT, NEWSWEEK/DAILY BEAST: Yeah, I mean, I think lots of factors go into diversity. I think race can be one of them, and I think the Supreme Court so far agrees with that.

MCLAUGHLIN: 67 percent opposed it, 28, you’re in the minority. Only 28 percent are in favor of it.

PAT BUCHANAN: It should be based on excellence, John.

CLIFT: As long as the Supreme Court agrees with me, I’m fine.

BUCHANAN: It should be like the NFL: whoever’s the best player plays, and whoever does best academically should be advanced. What is wrong with that?

MICHELLE BERNARD: Here’s a question I have. One of the things I always say because I think you can measure diversity in a lot of ways, but I think there’s an argument to be said that the greatest Affirmative Action program that there is in the country is being born white. There is a natural assumption when you are applying to institutions of higher education that you are excellent or you are more superb than others.

BUCHANAN: With due respect, whites are the only group that you can discriminate against legally in America now.

It may be a shocking thing to say on television, but is Buchanan right?


Link:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/08/24/pat-buchanan-whites-are-only-group-you-can-discriminate-against-legal#ixzz2cuHiqxo3

No comments:

Post a Comment